Solar energy is a rapidly growing renewable energy source, providing clean and sustainable power for homes and businesses around the world. Solar panels are a crucial component of any solar energy system, converting sunlight into usable electricity. To ensure optimal performance, efficiency, and longevity of these panels, regular inspections are essential. In this blog, we will explore the significance of solar panel inspections, their benefits, and the key aspects to consider during the inspection process.
The easiest and most cost effecient way to inspect your solar installations is by Drone with a thermal camera payload. The majority of home and commercial business instations are on the roof where acccess is difficult. In the hands of a professional drone pilot and certified thermographer, collecting the primary and key performance data is relatively straightforward.
- Maximising Efficiency: Solar panel thermal inspections play a vital role in maximising the efficiency of your solar energy system. Over time, various factors such as material degredation (PID), component failure, debris, shading, or even bird droppings can accumulate on the panels, reducing their ability to absorb sunlight effectively. Regular thermal inspections help identify and address these issues promptly, and with the correct maintenance will ensure your panels operate at their peak efficiency, generating maximum electricity output.
- Ensuring Safety: Safety is paramount when it comes to solar panel installation and operation. Inspections help identify any potential hazards such as over-heating cells, diodes and connector boxes, or faulty equipment that could pose a fire safety risk. Prompt detection and rectification of such issues not only protect the integrity of your solar panels but also safeguard the overall well-being of your property and its occupants.
- Extending Lifespan: Solar panels are designed to last for several decades, but regular inspections can significantly contribute to their longevity. By detecting and addressing minor issues early on, you can prevent them from developing into major problems that could compromise the overall performance and lifespan of the installtion. Proper maintenance through inspections can help ensure your solar investment continues to generate clean energy for years to come.
- Identifying Performance Issues: Solar panel inspections allow you to assess the performance of your solar energy system providing data that you can use to measure performance and comparewith the actual oexpected output. By identifying and rectifying performance issues promptly, you can maximise the financial returns on your solar investment.
- Warranty Compliance: Most solar panels come with warranties that cover specific defects or performance issues for a certain duration. Regular thermal inspections help ensure that your panels remain in compliance with the warranty terms. In the event of any covered problems, an inspection report can serve as evidence for warranty claims, enabling you to receive necessary repairs or replacements without incurring additional costs.
- Insurance Cover: Many insurance company’s require regular industry compliant (IEC) inspections as part of their policy requirements, check your cover and make sure you remain inside the policy terms.
Solar panel inspections, primarily through the use of drone thermal technology, is an integral part of maintaining a reliable and efficient solar energy system. By conducting regular thermal inspections, you can maximise the efficiency, extend the lifespan, ensure safety, identify performance issues, and comply with warranty and insurance requirements.
By instructing a professional thermography inspector and investing time and effort into your solar array investment, it will pay off in terms of increased energy generation, reduced maintenance costs, and prolonged system life. Remember, a well-maintained solar module system not only benefits the environment but also adds value to your property and contributes to a sustainable future.